I have seen a lot of articles floating around about ways to extend your laptop’s battery life. Even with improving technologies and longer lasting batteries, it is still a pain in the butt having your laptop with a dead battery, in the middle of a 8 hour flight. Below are the best articles I have seen on how to squeeze every second of juice from your lappy’s battery. If you don’t want to read all those, these 5 tips just about sum them up.
1. Dim your laptop screen as low as you can. Most laptops come with this function.
2. Use Windows’ built-in power-saving modes. They regulate cooling and CPU activity, and can greatly increase batter life.
3. Turn off all non-essential processes, such as Limewire, your printer suite, and anything else you won’t be using on the road. All of these suck your battery’s juice, so turn them off if you won’t be using them immediately.
4. Don’t try to do anything CPU-intensive such as compiling a video, using photoshop, or running an anti-virus scan while you aren’t hooked up. These activities drastically reduce battery life.
5. Use the Hibernate function whenever you won’t be accessing your laptop for 1 hour or more. Hibernate copies your RAM to your hard-drive, and then shuts itself off.
Top 15 Ways to Extend your Laptop’s Battery Life [Friedbeef's Tech]
10 Ways to Extend Laptop Battery Life [Lifehack.org]
Five Tips for Bettery Notebook Battery Life [LaptopMag.com]
4 Tips to Extend the Life of your Laptop Battery [Microsoft.com]
A Great App to track your Battery Usage [BatteryMon]
Update: Andrew has a great list of ways to store all types of batteries over at his site. I like the one about storing your laptop battery at 40% in your refrigerator.